The American Association of Blacks in Energy (AABE) was founded in 1977. It is a resource for energy professionals designed to ensure their input regarding discussions and developments of energy policies regulations, research and development technologies, and environmental issues.
The purpose of AABE is:
- To serve as a resource for African Americans and other minorities regarding policy discussions on economic, social and political impact of environmental/energy policies.
- To ensure involvement of minorities in governmental energy policymaking by recommending capable, perceptive and well-versed personnel to appropriate officials.
- To encourage the public and private sectors to be responsive to the dilemmas, goals and aspirations of minorities in energy-related fields.
- To provide scholarships and financial aid to encourage minority students to pursue careers in energy-related fields.
AABE NYMAC’s vision is to keep energy professionals aware of and up-to-date on energy issues, and to facilitate member input in such policy discussion and development.
AABE NYMAC’s mission is to provide energy professionals, executives, entrepreneurs, and students a pathway to learn more about the energy industry through education, mentoring, community service and business networking.
In addition to the four (4) principal goals of AABE, AABE NYMAC seeks to:
- To build AABE NYMAC membership, with representation from ‘all aspects’ of the energy industry (Con Edison, KeySpan/National Grid, LIPA, PSC, etc);
- To establish partnerships with other non-profits groups (NYUL, NAACP, Community centers, Sororities and Fraternities);
- To mentor members on career development;
- And to mentor students with a program designed to facilitate scholarship opportunities and career development.
Benefits of AABE NYMAC membership include:
- Forums for exchanging information and ideas pertaining to the energy industry.
- Networking opportunities through its monthly program meetings, seminars, workshops, and the annual national AABE conference.
- Complimentary membership to the AABE NYMAC listserve – which provides information about all chapter events/functions/opportunities.
- Professional recognition in the industry.